-
August 17th, 2001, 04:05 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Has anyone ever used a Russian kinoflex camera and what are some of the complaints about it?
-
August 17th, 2001, 07:30 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Here's a recent set of posts:
Super-8 Filmmaking
Bolex 155 or Quarz 8C-2
Author Topic: Bolex 155 or Quarz 8C-2
Dominic3
posted July 25, 2001 15:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the chance to purchase either a new Quarz 8C-2 or a mint ( 30 years old) Bolex 155 macro zoom, can anyone tell me which of the two cameras has the better lens and overall performance?
IP: Logged
ekoe
Senior Hostboard Member
Posts: 112
From: Tampa, Fl USA
Registered: Nov 2000
posted July 26, 2001 12:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have the 160 super macrozoom. same as the 155 but will run @ 24fps as well as 18 and 32fps. i think that's the only difference. anyway, i love it.
i don't know anything about the quarz 8c, but i believe it's spring wound, correct?
whereas, the 155 is motor driven.
the bolex has the paillard-kern lens.
the quarz will have a russian lens which may be inferior. once again, i don't know enough about the quarz.
-ekoe.
IP: Logged
Dominic3
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 12
From: London UK
Registered: Jul 2001
posted July 26, 2001 12:54
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ekoe
Thanks for your response - my query is for a second camera( to my Nizo 156), I want reliabilty for travel thats why I looked at the Quarz 8 C-2 - I am nervous about the Bolex because of its age and battery system - but I know you are probably right about the lens superiority.
I am also looking at an Elmo 108 mint kit - do you have any knowledge of this?
IP: Logged
pineapplefilms
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 14
From: ny ny usa
Registered: Apr 2000
posted July 26, 2001 15:11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Quartz and it is a good camera the optics aren't bad at all. besides with that camera almost all you'll ever need for it is film because batteries aren't needed.( Of course you'll need to clean the film gate etc.) on the other hand if you normally shoot @ 24fps the Bolex 155 is incapable of doing so it films@ 18fps and 36fps.
IP: Logged
Dominic3
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 12
From: London UK
Registered: Jul 2001
posted July 26, 2001 16:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pinapple
Thanks for your comments - Have you filmed in B/W & filters with the Quarz?
How did you get on with the close up lenses? The Bolex has Macro which I am told is excellent, so I would be interested to hear your experience.
IP: Logged
Dominic3
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 12
From: London UK
Registered: Jul 2001
posted July 26, 2001 18:08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would still like to hear any comments on the Elmo 108.....perhaps I should just forget the Quarz and Bolex 155 and buy this as my secondary camera to my Nizo?
IP: Logged
pineapplefilms
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 14
From: ny ny usa
Registered: Apr 2000
posted July 27, 2001 09:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B&W looks great shot by the quartz. The filters work as they should, but I haven't had the need to use the close-ups. It's one of a bunch of super 8mm and 16mm cameras that I own (I got it for a great price on EBAY, used, so I couldn't pass it by) so I use it as a second camera or if I'm at a location that power(batteries) might be an issue. But for the money, the ability to control exposures it's a pretty damn good camera. I would definitely reccomend it.
IP: Logged
Dominic3
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 12
From: London UK
Registered: Jul 2001
posted July 27, 2001 14:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pineapple
Thanks.Your comments are noted...
Im swayed toward the Quarz - (I may also buy the Elmo 108 in addition to my Nizo.....)
Out of interest do you process your own B/W film shot by the Quarz?
IP: Logged
[email protected]
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 4
From: ny ny usa
Registered: May 2001
posted July 30, 2001 23:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't process my own. I use a couple of labs in NYC. I like PAC labs because they are friendly, they do good work and I can walk to the lab from either my office or home. If you go with the kino/quartz I'm sure you'll like it.
IP: Logged
MovieStuff
Senior Hostboard Member
Posts: 132
From: Houston, Texas, USA
Registered: Jul 2001
posted July 30, 2001 23:11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't underestimate the Russian lenses. In addition to my film work, my wife and I also are photographers. We've bought a couple of wide angle Russian lenses that are stunning in their sharpness; certainly on par with our Nikon lenses. I was told (who knows?) that a couple of aerospace companies went belly up when the Soviet system collapsed and started producing consumer lenses to stay alive. I suppose recon grade lenses for spy satellites won't be a waste on my cameras!
At any rate, I haven't seen any Russian glass that wasn't sharp. However, they are a bit uneven in terms of quality control. We have two identical lenses for our Kiev medium format cameras and the diaphragm pin is chromed on one and rusted pot metal on the other. But the glass is sharp!
Roger
IP: Logged
Dominic3
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 12
From: London UK
Registered: Jul 2001
posted July 31, 2001 12:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pineapple/Moviestuff
Thanks for your replies.
Well, since I last posted, I bought the new Quarz as a secondary camera , at a good price ( not the usual ? 180.00! that the Widescreen centre charges in London) However.....
...and this is a big HOWEVER! ....
I had to return the camera because there was a deep "manufacturing" chip and scratch on the bottom element of the zoom lens!! ( Because the lens can be removed I was able to spot this clearly)
Bloody irritating!
Anyway, I am being sent a replacement camera which will be thoroughly checked over and supplied with a years warranty( any more problems Ill make sure I get a refund).
I will report on the quality of my first test fil later. (Apart from the lens problem, I like the camera so far).
I still plan to buy the mint Elmo I'll report on that also.
IP: Logged
Dominic3
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 12
From: London UK
Registered: Jul 2001
posted August 10, 2001 09:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My advice for anyone considering buying a new Quarz Russian 8C-2 - DON"T!
The replacement camera I was sent (following the original chipped lens Quarz I purchased ) also had a couple of faults, the light meter was not functioning properly and the viewfinder filled with pieces of "paint dust" when the camera motor was used making it difficult to focus. I was unable to clean the inside as this was sealed.
I sent the camera back and got a refund.
It appears that the camera would be a good basic machine if only it was free of manufacturing faults!
Anyway - Im happy with my Nizo and Elmo......
Summary:
I'll not go "Russian" nor will I risk getting my "bollox" burned with an old Bolex!
IP: Logged
pineapplefilms
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 14
From: ny ny usa
Registered: Apr 2000
posted August 13, 2001 23:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dominic,
I'm sorry that you had such a bad time.
IP: Logged
pineapplefilms
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 14
From: ny ny usa
Registered: Apr 2000
posted August 13, 2001 23:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm interested though, If you don't mind saying, where did you get the Quartz from?
[This message has been edited by pineapplefilms (edited August 14, 2001).]
IP: Logged
Dominic3
Junior Hostboard Member
Posts: 12
From: London UK
Registered: Jul 2001
posted August 14, 2001 05:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Pineapple..
I bought it from one of the official importers of Russian equipment in London - the cameras were not "grey" imports.
I am sure it is possible to find a Quarz without faults somewhere, but when it happens twice as it did to me - I am reluctant to take the risk again buying "new".
IP: Logged
[This message has been edited by pineapplefilms (edited August 17, 2001).]
-
August 17th, 2001, 07:34 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Its a definite toss up...either you have one that will last or it will go ka-put in just no time. I personaly think they are not worth spending more than 25-50 bucks on, brand new.
hanthx
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks